Device Says Where You Are, Where You're Going, & What's Around You:
The Trekker Breeze -- which sells for $699 --speaks aloud information on one's current location, including street name, last addressed passed, and the distance to the next intersection.
The device can increase a blind person's mobility and independence by enabling them to travel on their own with confidence -- whether one's destination is the office, corner store, or dream vacation spot halfway round the world.
The Trekker Breeze verbally announces the names of streets, intersections, and landmarks as you walk and can tell your location on the spot. It also tells you:
- Type of upcoming intersection, e.g. 3-, 4- or 5-way intersection
- Highway exits so car travelers can alert their driver when to get off
- Cardinal direction being traveled
- Nearest address being passed
Trekker Breeze GPS Product Features
The Trekker Breeze measures 5 by 2 by 1 inches and weights 7 ounces. It's main features include:
- Single-hand operation with nine large, distinctive buttons
- Direct buttons to functions
- Quick volume adjustment with volume wheel
- Built-in speaker & secondary external speaker
- Built-in human sounding text-to-speech
- Eight hours of battery life
- Integrated help
- Shoulder strap.
Trekker Breeze GPS Product Benefits
- Increases confidence while traveling
- Increases independence -- no more asking strangers for help
- Enables users to quickly learn the most efficient routes
- Helps users know more about and benefit from their environment.
Trekker Breeze GPS Main Functions
The Trekker Breeze enables users to:
- Get the step-by-step instructions from start to end
- Create a pedestrian or vehicle route by entering exact street addresses
- Record routes learned with sighted people for later use without assistance
- Record landmarks along route, e.g. a friend's home or a favorite store, for future access
- Easily retrace your steps if you get lost -- simply push a button.
Trekker Breeze Map Downloads
HumanWare enables Trekker Breeze GPS license holders to download new maps to a PC (Mac support is in development) as soon as updates are available.
To get the latest maps, go to license.humanware.com and click the "Login Page" button.
Once on the Login Page, select your HumanWare product, enter its serial number and your email address, and click the "Login" button.
Logging in takes you to the map selection page. Place a check next to the country whose maps you wish to download, e.g. "US all maps."
Note:Starting in 2012, US residents can download all 50 state maps for free and not just the ones in their region.
Once you make your selection, click "Submit" to reach the GPS map download instructions page.
Press "Download" to access an FTP site with links to all the maps. A link to this site is automatically emailed to you to make future downloads easier.
Once on the FTP site, select a map and press "Enter" to open the download box.
Choose a download destination and click "Save."
Once the map has downloaded, insert your SD card or USB cable into your PC.
Open the Trekker Map Manager, select the map you wish to transfer to your Trekker Breeze, and press "Enter."
Once transfer is complete, safely remove your SD card or USB cable.