Read2Go is a mobile app for Apple iOS products that enables print-disabled readers to download DAISY audiobooks -- notably the 125,000+ titles available to qualifying members on Bookshare -- that they can listen to on their iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Benetech - the parent nonprofit to Bookshare -- developed Read2Go with Shinano Kenshi Co., maker of the PLEXTALK digital talking book player.
Read2Go promotes accessibility in four ways:
- Readers who are blind can listen to books with natural-sounding text-to-speech narration with variable speed and full DAISY navigation features
- Readers who are visually impaired can enlarge text and change background and highlight colors to make words easier to read onscreen
- Braille readers can output text to a refreshable display connected wirelessly to their device with Bluetooth technology
- Persons with learning disabilities can improve comprehension through multi-modal reading -- listening to and simultaneously seeing the narrated words highlighted onscreen.
Read2Go App Features
Read2Go enables access to books from virtually anywhere from most Apple iOS devices. For print-disabled readers, Read2Go:
- Opens encrypted DAISY files, providing access to Bookshare's 125,000+ titles
- Reads DAISY 3.0 and 2.02 files and supports all 6 levels of embedded navigation
- Enables transfer (via iTunes) of non-Bookshare DAISY books
- Provides human-sounding Acapella synthetic speech with male and female narration
- Supports Apple iOS accessibility features such as VoiceOver
- Facilitates synchronized word-by-word highlighting and text-to-speech
- Lets users choose font sizes, highlighting and background colors, and variable reading speeds
- Supports page-by-page content loading to reduce memory usage and to improve performance
- Can play books in the background - with the app turned off -and when the screen is locked.
Downloading Books With Read2Go App
To download a Bookshare title, go to the download screen by pressing the Read2Go app icon.
Using the keypad, type the title or author into the search box and press "Enter".
Once you find the book you want, tap the screen to download it.
Read2Go enables you to start listening to the book immediately, or save it to your Bookshelf.
A captioned instructional video provides an overview of Read2Go's main functions and features, including how to download books.
Many persons with visual impairments find downloading Bookshare titles to their iPhone or iPad far easier than downloading books to a desktop computer. Read2Go eliminates the need to transfer files and simplifies the search for stored books.
Read2Go sells for $19.99 and can be purchased online from the iTunes App store, where it's featured in the Special Education section.
Requirements: Read2Go is compatible with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch running iOS 4.0 or later. Bookshare membership is free, though the application requires documentation of a print disability from a qualified professional.
Read2Go can be purchased and used without a Bookshare membership. The app enables users to search and download over 4,000 books now in the public domain.
Benetech is a nonprofit technology company based in Palo Alto, California. The Benetech Bookshare service is the world's largest accessible online library of copyrighted books for people with print disabilities.