HumanWare's Popular Audio Player is Also Thinner & 28% Smaller:
The Victor Reader Stream is a pocket-sized DAISY book and media player designed to make text accessible and portable for people who are blind or visually impaired.
The latest version, which HumanWare released in January 2013, is thinner and 28% smaller than its predecessors -- which include the Victor Reader Stream Library Edition -- with rounded corners for comfort and wireless connectivity for convenience.
The new Stream retains the tactile keypad, linear bookshelf navigation, and support for Audible, Bookshare, and Learning Ally audiobooks that have made it one of the most popular players among readers with visual impairments and learning disabilities.
The stream's key strength include support for multiple text formats and content from most of the top DAISY book providers, computer and wireless connectivity for downloading and sharing digital files, and storage space for a multimedia library of books, magazines, music, video description, text files, and recorded voice memos.
New Victor Reader Stream Features:
The new Victor Reader Stream integrates Wi-Fi connectivity, providing wireless access to DAISY book and content sources such as Bookshare, Learning Ally, the National Library Service, and iTunes, as well as free software updates.
Other new features and enhancements include:
- Text-to-Speech: Choice of 2 natural-sounding Acapela voices for playing various file types, including: brf, DOCX, EPUB, html, txt, and xml
- Recording: Built-in mono mic & 3.5 mm stereo jack for recording voice notes
- Memory: Supports up to 32-gigabyte capacity SD cards USB flash drives
- File Support: Now includes EPUB2 unprotected books, DOCX, MP4, and iTunes M4A files
- Softpak features of full stereo recordings
- Improved, louder speaker
- Built-in clock that announces date & time.
DAISY Book & Victor Reader Stream Navigation:
DAISY (Digital Audio Information System) is a set of formatting standards for creating audiobooks with a hierarchical structure that makes them easy to navigate.
Using a DAISY player, readers can advance forward and backward through a book by part, section, chapter, paragraph, etc. place bookmarks, and find passages via word search.
Victor Reader Stream users can quickly navigate to books, files, voice notes, and music by pressing numbers on the player's keypad. Capabilities include:
- Browse DAISY books by chapter, section, or phrase
- Move through text files by paragraph, sentence, or word
- Navigate MP3 books and music by folder or file
- Go To Page key finds pages just like turning to a page in a printed book
- Automatic return to where you last stopped reading
- Bookmark passages and include voice annotations.
Victor Reader Stream Specifications:
- Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.7 inches (114 x 62 x 18 mm)
- Weight: 3.9 ounces (110 g), including battery
- DAISY formats supported: 2.0, 2.0.2, and ANSI/NISO Z39.86 2002/2005 (DAISY 3)
- Audio formats supported: MP4-AAC, AMR-WB+, FLAC, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Speex, and WAV
- Li-Ion battery: Rechargeable via USB or AC adapter
- Recharging time: 5 hours via AC adapter
- Operating time: Up to 15 hours on headphones (may vary depending on content and player settings)
HumanWare (www.humanware.com) is the global leader in assistive technologies for the print disabled. HumanWare provides products to people who are blind or have low vision, and students with learning disabilities. HumanWare offers a collection of innovative products, including BrailleNote Apex, the leading productivity device for the blind in education, business and for personal use; the Victor Reader product line, the world's leading digital audiobook players; the SmartView family of handheld and desktop electronic magnifiers and Trekker Breeze, the all-in-one handheld talking GPS.