Desktop CCTV Offers 24-inch Display:
The Merlin Elite from Enhanced Vision is a high-definition +desktop video magnifier (CCTV) that features text-to-speech and OCR scanning. The Elite is designed to provide visually impaired persons with an all-in-one solution for reading and enlarging text and images.
CCTVs such as the Elite offer those with vision loss -- from conditions such as age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy -- a vital tool for maintaining independence. These devices enable users to read the mail, bill bottles, maps, and periodicals. They also make hobbies, such as crossword puzzles, needlepoint, or coin collecting, easier.
Standalone devices still deliver high resolution, but face increasing competition from both portable devices (e.g. the Optelec Compact 5 HD) and iPad apps such as SightTech's EyeSight. Enhanced Vision's own Transformer, with a camera that can be angled for distance viewing, also offers a new level of flexibility.
The Elite's 24-inch monitor -- one of the largest among CCTVs -- gives low-vision users a wide field of view and displays more text, while its HD technology yields a sharp image offering optimal color and contrast.
Merlin Elite CCTV Main Features:
- Sony HD auto-focus camera
- 24-inch high HD/LCD monitor for best image quality
- LED lighting for truer HD picture quality
- Magnification range from 2.4x to 70x
- 28 viewing modes to optimize contrast and brightness
- Text-to-Speech & OCR: reads text aloud with Nuance software
- Intuitive console with line markers
- Screen pivots horizontally and vertically to provide the most comfortable viewing position
- Low profile XY table that has lock mechanism
- Monitor can also be used as a computer display
- Set up is easy, just plug in and begin
- 3-year warranty
Key Benefits of Merlin Elite CCTV:
- Eyestrain Reduction: Image clarity and wide viewing field can make sustained reading less fatiguing
- Large Field of View: Seeing more onscreen -- whether using the Elite at work, home, or school -- restores more of the typical reading experience and increases a user's visual independence
- Text-to-Speech: Merlin can read text aloud to further reduce fatigue, increase comprehension, and provide instant access to important documents such as bills, statements, and medical forms
- Maximum Photo Detail: HD camera and display and adjustable viewing modes bring out each shade, color, and visual component of every image
Tips on Using Merlin Elite:
Having Text Read to You
To have text read to you, place the printed material under the camera and press the capture button. Merlin elite begins reading what's onscreen in a few seconds.
Black & White Color Option
Many visually impaired persons prefer the maximum contrast of the black and white viewing mode. Selecting this mode on the Merlin Elite converts anything a user views, including photos, into to a black-on-white or white on black high-contrast image.
Horizontal Line Markers & Windowing
The Merlin Elite offers the ability to add horizontal line markers to provide a reference point when reading. Users can also isolate sections of text they're reading within windows to increase legibility.
The Merlin Elite retails for $3,295. Download a free copy of the brochure, user manual, and low-vision guide on the Enhanced Vision website.