Amplified telephones can provide persons who are hard of hearing with the additional volume they need to make phone conversations more accessible and enjoyable.
Such phones also enable multiple persons to hear and more easily participate in calls in noisy environments, such as an office conference room.
Most amplified phones have extra-loud ringers, are hearing-aid compatible, and include features such as talking caller ID, visual ringers, large or illuminated numbers, and neckloop and headset jacks.
Following are three popular models.
The Clarity XLC2 DECT 6.0 is an amplified cordless phone that makes incoming and outgoing speech louder and conversations more clear. The handset has a full-duplex speakerphone with a concave earpiece that amplifies voices up to 50 decibels (dB). The ringer amplifies to 95 dB.
The XLC2 is also easier to see, featuring large, backlit buttons and a bright visual ringer and voicemail alert to go augment the phone's talking caller ID. Other XLC2 features include:
- Auto-Boost (amplification is always on)
- Call Waiting
- Choice of 3 tone settings
- 12 station speed dial
- 3.5 mm neckloop jack
- 2.5 mm headset jack
- 1-year warranty (extended warranty available)
The Polycom SoundPoint Pro is a corporate-quality phone system that features a full-duplex speaker so everyone in the room can talk and listen simultaneously.
"Full duplex" means the phone transmits and receives audio signals simultaneously and in both directions, making conference-room conversations with persons calling in clearer at both ends.
Polycom SoundPoint Pro Desktop Speakerphone features include:
- Full duplex conference phone
- 2-line operation with 2-mic system
- Caller ID with call waiting ID
- 99-station caller ID memory
- 20-station speed dial memory
- 32 character LCD display
- Distinct rings for each line
- 2.5-mm headset jack
The Fanstel ST45 is an amplified, corded, business-grade speakerphone that can digitally adjust frequency-specific volume levels so users -- especially those in noisy environments -- can clearly and comfortably hear a caller's voice.
Personal volume settings are saved automatically for future use. Incoming voices can be amplified up to 47dB. Caller names and numbers are visible on the large 7.4 square-inch backlit LCD display. The phone also enables uses to make or receive calls without power.
Fanstel ST45 Amplified Speakerphone features include:
- Frequency-specific headset amplification
- Auto-select for best amplification level
- Visual ringer with a 95dB range
- 3 programmable one-touch memory buttons
- 32-digit redial memory
- 99 name/number Caller ID log
- Call waiting and voicemail waiting ID
- Big numeric buttons with large fonts on high contrast LCD.