Dragon Dictate 3 is Nuance Communications latest version of its popular speech recognition software for the Mac.
Just as with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Dragon Dictate enables users to create and edit documents, including email, run applications, surf the web, and update social networks via voice.
Users can also create custom commands that execute multiple steps by speaking a word or phrase.
Dragon speech recognition ca help make computer use and web browsing more accessible to persons with many types of disabilities.
For one who is blind or visually impaired, dictating may be faster than typing on a mobile keyboard. Word prediction and text-to-speech can help persons with dyslexia translate thoughts into words more efficiently. And features such as MouseGrids aid web page navigation for users unable to use a keyboard or mouse.
New Features in Dragon Dictate for Mac 3
Nuance claims the new version is 15 percent more accurate than Dragon Dictate 2.5.
Features for Installation, Setup, and Training:
- Simpler Installation: Dragon Dictate for Mac 3 ships on a single DVD, simplifying installation by including the standard Apple Installer.
- Centralized Speech Engine Data: Centralized speech engine data saves valuable hard drive space -- a benefit for customers supporting multiple users on a single machine.
- Additional Voice Training Stories: Dragon Dictate for Mac 3 makes training more accessible by offering four different texts designed for various ages and reading abilities.
- Interactive Tutorial: Offers short, progressive simulations to help users practice good dictation and develop good editing habits to create text more efficiently. The tutorial is displayed at the end of profile creation and available at any time from the Help menu.
- Support for New Applications: In addition to supporting OS X Mountain Lion, Dragon Dictate for Mac 3 offers built-in commands for the new Notes and Reminders applications in Apple's latest OS release.
- More Commands from Mission Control: Dragon Dictate for Mac 3 delivers enhanced support for Mission Control, with more commands for many of the most common functions, for example "swipe left" or "swipe right."
- Express Editor: Dragon Dictate's Express Editor enables you to dictate into a text field or application -- event those in which Dragon does not have Full Text Control. You dictate and then transfer text from the Express Editor into the desired application by voice.
- Vocabulary Editor: Vocabulary Editor enables you to set alternative word and phrase spelling preferences (e.g. "colour" for color) to provide a personal touch and greater control over the words you use.
- Recorded Speech Transcription: Dragon Dictate enables you to establish a user profile for a digital voice recorder so you can have the application transcribe recorded speech directly into text. Supports .wav, .m4a, .m4v, .mp4, .aif, and .aiff audio file formats.
- Dragon Recorder: Dragon Recorder is iOS an app that enables you to to record your thoughts onto an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch (4th generation) -- creating audio files Dragon will transcribe automatically onto your Mac.
- Dragon Dictate 3 also supports 16kHz wideband Bluetooth wireless headset microphones -- a higher-quality audio signal that can improve accuracy.
Dragon Dictate 3 Pricing & Availability
Dragon Dictate for Mac 3 is available for pre-order immediately starting at $199.99. Registered owners of Macspeech Dictate or Dragon Dictate can purchase an upgrade for $149.99 through Nuance's website, as well as its global network of reseller partners and retailers.
Call (800.443-7077) for additional information on product features, pricing, and volume licensing programs.
Nuance Communications, Inc. NUAN -0.75% is a leading provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers around the world.