The Bottom Line
Dragon Dictate 2.5 for Mac is easy to install. The program enables users to quickly create a voice profile that accurately captures text and executes commands.
The two most significant enhancements are integrating dictation with Apple iOS devices such as the iPhone, and enabling users to combine dictation with manual input when writing documents in Microsoft Word 2011.
These improvements reflect two realities: people are demanding more mobile access, while realizing dictation alone doesn't ensure good writing and quality communication.
- Enables seamless dictation with mouse and keyboard input while using Microsoft Word 2011
- Dragon Remote Mic App enables user to dictate directly to their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- More built-in commands for Mac applications such as Apple Mail, iCal, iChat, Pages, and Safari
- Ability to browse the web and post updates to social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter
- More text formatting control, including dates, times, numbers, and addresses
- Dragon products get words down and spur productivity, but do not teach writing and editing skills
- Dictation function is ften less effective for persons with slow or impaired speech.
- Web browsing capability is inconsistent
- Dragon Dictate for mac 2.5 is powered by the latest version of Nuance’s renowned speech recognition engine, Dragon 11.
- Dragon Dictate enables users to combine dictation with manual mouse and keyboard input while using Microsoft Word 2011.
- The program has more built-in voice commands for Word for formatting text, insert graphics, and control menu items.
- Dragon Dictate enables users to control their Mac's mouse and cursor with their voice using Nuance's MouseGrid technology.
- Dragon Voice Shortcuts for Search accelerates the way users find information on the web and on their Mac.
- Users can designate multiple microphones for a single voice profile, such as a microphone headset and a wireless mic.
- The new Dragon Remote Mic App is available immediately as a free download in the Apple App Store.
- New editing commands make it easy to insert, select, and delete text, and capitalize text.
- Dragon’s Numbers Mode more accurately recognizes number strings -- useful for database entry or product code dictation.
- The new Auto Sleep Microphone feature puts the mic into Sleep mode if it doesn’t receive input for over a minute.
Guide Review - Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5 Turns iPhone into Remote Mic
The Nuance Dragon family of speech recognition applications enable users to control their computer with their voice.
Each product comes with an installation CD and a headset microphone. The program guides the user in creating a "voice profile," after which they can dictate text, compose emails, and browse the web while touching neither mouse nor keyboard.
Voice recognition was originally created to help persons with disabilities access computer and communications technology. Dragon epitomizes assistive technology's mainstream appeal.
Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5 has new features that make it easier to create documents, send Tweets, SMS text messages, and emails, update Facebook, and browse the web.The program is easy to install, train, and use. What distinguishes Dragon Dictate and Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the speed and accuracy of its voice recognition -- you can speak quickly and in full sentences and paragraphs, and it puts those words on paper. It's great for composing long documents.
A longstanding criticism of Dragon has been its seeming desire to remove the keyboard from computing. What's interesting about Dragon 2.5, however, is that it enables users to combine dictation with manual mouse and keyboard entry, giving users more control over how they use the program.
At the same time, Dragon shows no signs of slowing down its dictation functionality. The upgrade supports the Dragon Remote Mic App, which enables users to turn their Apple iOS devices into a wireless microphone for use with Dragon on their Mac.
Dragon Dictate 2.5 for Mac starts at $179.99 and is available through Nuance's website. Dragon Dictate 2.5 is a free upgrade for Dragon Dictate 2.0 users. The Dragon Remote Mic App is also free