iReadWrite is an iPad app that combines assistive technologies for reading and writing -- including text-to-speech, word prediction, spell check -- to aid students with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and other learning disabilities.
The app runs directly on the iPad and thus requires Wi-Fi or 3G access.
With iReadWrite, users can import text and Rich Text Format (RTF) documents from almost anywhere, e.g. SkyDrive or Google Drive. They can share (export) files by posting them to Facebook or Twitter, or via email or Messages.
Download iReadWrite version 1.0 ($19.99) from iTunes or the App Store. The app requires an iPad running iOS 6.0. The file size is 387 MB.
iReadWrite include Features
- Text-to-Speech with Dual-Color Highlighting: Students can listen to text read aloud and follow along as each sentence and word is highlighted -- a feature designed to aid focus and reading comprehension. Background and text colors and fonts are customizable.
- Voice Options: Students can choose from a variety of natural-sounding male and female voices.
- Word Prediction: Word prediction makes writing easier by letting students tap in words off a list after a few keystrokes. Suggested words also reduce the stress of trying to remember or sound out the right.
- Phonetic Spell Checker: This feature enables students to find and fix phonetic and flexible spelling errors. Its dictionary features many words dyslexics often misspell and provides suggested corrections based on words adjacent to the error. It also provides choices and definitions for same-sounding and easily confused words.
- Text and Picture Dictionary: The text and picture dictionary provides definitions as well as images for selected words to help students expand their vocabulary and improve reading comprehension.
Texthelp develops literacy software for individuals, K-12, and students in higher education. Its flagship product is Read&Write GOLD, a customizable toolbar (PC or Mac) that provides reading, writing, studying, and research tools students can access within most applications and websites. Texthelp's Fluency Tutor uses audio feedback and interactive tests to enable students to read at their own pace.
For more information on iReadWrite, visit Texthelp and download the product flyer or call 888.248.0652.